There are a thousand and one ways to create a website. You could use a content management system, blog software, or static html coding. Each of these has its own CSS style sheet to create a unique look and feel and support your brand.
Clean and professional web design works no matter what business you are in
No matter what business you are in or the reason for creating your website there are common themes that all successful website abide by. As you are creating your website you always need to remember you have 5-10 seconds to make a person stay on your web page.
5 Things that Every Website Most Have
- Professional: when you go into a brick and mortar store to buy something, what do you think when the store is a mess? This works the same of websites. Clean and professional always work to matter what business, product, or service you are offering.
- Navigation: make your navigation easy to find and use. I have seen websites with fancy flash for a navigation which can be confusing, plus lacks good search engine optimization. You want to make it easy for visitors to find the information you want them to and they are looking to find.
- Colors: have you ever looked at a website and it gave you a headache? The color scheme has to easy on the eyes. This also works for the text. Often websites get too artsy with the colors and text and you can’t read anything on the site.
- Call to Action: every page of your website needs a “call to action.” This is what you want people to do next on your website. The best place is in the right hand navigation as people’s eyes move from left to right and diagonal across the page.
- Test: most website owners don’t test their links and their new web pages they add. It is so easy for a photo to not be formatted or a link to not work. It takes just a minute more to test your new page and it is well worth it. This also goes for periodic checks as things can just stop working for some reason. Another way to know if something isn’t working is to see a sudden high bounce rate on a certain page.