You can look at these two ways. First, if you are just starting a website for your small business than these tips can save you a lot of time, headaches, and money from having to redo things later. Secondly, if you are finding that your website isn’t achieving the results you want from either conversions or traffic than use these tips to see if your website has areas to improve.
Websites don’t have to be expensive to be effective. They just have to be set up correctly from the beginning.
Top 10 Web Design Tips for Small Business
- Domain name: chose an obvious domain name that is either you company’s name or keywords that represent what you are selling.
- Hosting: don’t take your hosting for granted. Poor hosting companies can have your site crash and not have the tech support to get it back up. I personally use GoDaddy.com Hosting Plans for everything now as I haven’t had any issues and they have good customer service.
- HMTL vs. Flash: flash looks cool though it gets annoying once you have been on the site more than once. Also, flash doesn’t get indexed by searched engines. You want to make your professional website in html.
- 8 Grade Level: You have to make it obvious to what you are selling and who your target audience is. If your visitors have to guess you will lose most of them.
- Warm and fuzzies: That is what I call them. Make it easy to find your credentials and biographies of who you are. You want to build trust with your audience. Certifications, associations, and other outside agencies like the Better Business Bureau support your online trust factor.
- Testimonials: showcase testimonials from clients or customers. You can also let customers comment on their orders through automatic services.
- Photos: don’t clutter your website. You graphics and photos to break up the text though don’t over do it.
- Navigation: search engines index text navigations only. Also, as most computers are wider than taller having your navigation horizontal makes it easier to fit in every person’s monitor.
- Keywords: you want to do research on keywords people are searching for your business. It is important to understand your audience more than you just deciding what keywords they should be searching for.
- Measure: put analytic software on your website so you can measure everything from traffic sources to what they do once on your website.