You are looking at the stats of your Google Analytics and you see foreign countries that have visited your ecommerce online store. Won’t it be great if those people could read your products in their own language. Yes, we could be myopic and think that they should just learn English. Business is about opportunities and right now very few online stores are taking advantage of all the potential customers who speak different languages. Especially even in the United States that has a heavily populated Hispanic population.
To translate your store you have to do more than Google translator
Google has a feature called Google Translator that will translate any web page into your language. This sounds good though as you know not everything translates perfectly from language to language.
For those websites that want to capture non English speaking customers than you want to think about in terms of a commitment to making your website available for those non English speaking customers than just a quick fix.
5 Tips for Translating your Ecommerce Website
- Rephrase: phrases mean different things in different languages. You want to take the time to find out how different cultures call things differently. For example if you are selling pocket knives you may call them folding knives in Spanish.
- Translation Sheet: make a list of common terms used on your website, for example “On Sale.” You many use this term hundreds to thousands of times throughout your website though you only want to pay to have it translated once.
- Hire a Real Person: you will find that if you use a program to translate your website there will be all sorts of errors which you don’t even know about because you don’t speak the language. You will make the money back in conversions and more sales if you hire a professional translator to match what you want to say into the right phrase in the new language.
- Translation Memory: you can get a software program to track already translated terms and phrases. This way you don’t have to hire a translator or a foreign language writer every time you add a new product.
- Review: this works for your website in English as well. It is vital that you review and look over your translated sections of your website. You may have to hire a professional to do this. Look for broken links not just errors in the text.